A high-quality coating is very important when youve opted for a concrete countertop for a number of reasons. Although concrete is durable, it still needs to be protected. This is especially true for a kitchen environment. Here are five reasons why a concrete countertop coating is important:
- You avoid staining the concrete - Unfortunately, certain liquids or greases can encounter concrete and infiltrate its pores. This can lead to staining and faster deterioration of the concrete. Coatings, such as Z SiAcryl 14 , close off those pores so that substances dont get inside them.
- Easy to clean - A coating makes the concrete countertop much easier to clean. If theres a spill, all you have to do is wipe it up.
- Low maintenance - A concrete countertop coating will keep the maintenance to a minimum. You dont have to worry about frequent reapplication of the coating.
- Appearance - A concrete sealer can add a glossy, semi-gloss, or satin finish to your concrete. Certainly coatings can also be used to darken the concrete. This is often referred to as color enhancing or wet out look.
- Heat resistance - A coated countertop can add some protection to the concrete from hot pots and pans that are taken directly out of the oven or off the stovetop but will have some limitations. There are coatings that can handle different temperatures.
Of course, the reasons to have a concrete countertop coating go well beyond these five. However, they give you an idea of why it is important to have the countertop coated. Other reasons include better aesthetic appeal and UV resistance if any part of the countertop is exposed to the sun. Its all about making sure the concrete countertop lasts and looks good for the longest period of time possible. You want to get the most out of your countertop, and coating it is one way to do that.